Title: Director of Internal Audit for Health Care
Company: Halyard Health/ Kimberly-Clark Corporation
Location: Alpharetta GA
Function: Internal Audit
Reports to: Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer
Kimberly-Clark Health Care provides a portfolio of solutions that improve the health, hygiene and well-being of patients and clinicians around the world. With significant expertise in the areas of infection prevention, surgical protection, respiratory health, digestive health and pain management, Kimberly-Clark Health Care is driven to produce innovative solutions that improve both medical outcomes and business performance. Kimberly-Clark plans to spin-off Kimberly-Clark Health Care by year-end into Halyard Health, a stand-alone, publicly-traded healthcare company with leading market positions in surgical and infection prevention products and medical devices. This is the time to consider an exciting opportunity with a company committed to advancing health and healthcare by preventing infection, eliminating pain and speeding recovery. If you are inspired by the opportunity to transform healthcare delivery, join the Kimberly-Clark Health Care team!
As leader of the Internal Audit Department this position will be responsible for providing strong leadership and vision, as well as management, planning and execution of all internal audit activities for Halyard. Initially, the position will manage the Internal Audit function through relationships with third party service providers. Over time, the position will be responsible for the development and training of a team of audit professionals. This position will be expected to move the department along the internal audit continuum from their current SOX/Internal Controls focus to a future state of adding value through business partnering and consulting. In addition, this position will be a potential succession candidate for Controller, CFO or other finance/operational leadership positions.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF POSITION:
The person hired for this position will be responsible for:
- Developing and implementing an overall internal audit strategy and building Halyard’s internal audit capabilities. This position will manage internal resources and the co-source relationship to help execute the strategy, with the intent of creating a department that is a high-impact, well-respected audit, risk management and control monitoring function.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with operating and executive management throughout the organization. Maintaining open lines of communication and regular interaction with the Chairperson of the Audit Committee.
- Managing the planning, execution, documentation and reporting of all operational, financial, regulatory, compliance and technology audit activities.
- As circumstances warrant, overseeing or participating in special investigations, risk advisory work, management requests and other ad-hoc projects.
- Evaluating accounting practices, financial reporting and internal controls of the company.
- Ascertaining extent of protection and safeguarding of company assets and recommend methods for improvement. Identifying potential for or instances of irregularities (e.g. fraud, abuse) or error. Reporting suspected instances of conflicts of interest and unethical conduct.
- Identifying risks facing the organization through a comprehensive risk assessment and through interaction with business leadership at all levels of the organization.
- Establishing standard audit practices including the development of audit plans and programs, work papers and reporting. Ensuring the quality of all audit reports for distribution to senior management and management of audited areas.
- Preparing and delivering concise presentations to executive management and the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors, including reports on audit scope, findings, root causes and recommended action plans to prevent/minimize future control risks.
- Monitoring management achievement of committed action plans from prior audits to ensure complete follow through and closure of identified risks.
- Evaluating business practices, policies, procedures and controls to ensure they are being consistently upheld throughout the organization in accordance with principles, values, and mission.
- Over time, recruiting, motivating and training high performing staff. Conducting performance evaluations of staff, initiating follow through with disciplinary action and termination in consultation with Human Resources, when appropriate. Mentoring, motivating, and developing staff and serving as a resource to them in order to facilitate their professional development. Leading the development of team goals and objectives and the plans necessary to achieve the internal audit plan.
- Developing budget for the department. Routinely monitoring, managing and controlling budget, analyzing variances and taking appropriate action, where necessary. Developing plans for continued efficiency and productivity improvements.
- Maintaining knowledge of current trends and developments in the field by reading appropriate books, journals and other literature and attending related conferences, seminars, and roundtables.
- Maintaining peer relationships in the field to share challenges, ideas and leading practices.
Interested? You can also contact Dorothy.Beach@KCC.com to receive more information. Sending your resume can allow a more intelligent discussion between your career goals and Kimberly-Clark’s business needs.
A competitive candidate should possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field. CPA. CIA and/or MBA strongly preferred.
- Ten or more years of previous experience with five years previous supervisory experience. Global / International and healthcare related experience strongly preferred.
- Combination of experience with a large public or private corporation and an international public accounting firm strongly preferred.
PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
To qualify for this position candidates should have the following personal characteristics and capabilities:
- Strategic, innovative, creative and inquisitive quality of mind, with good business acumen and good judgment which will enable the person to provide timely and appropriately risk balanced advice and guidance.
- Outstanding communications skills, including presenting to, advising and educating executive leadership and boards of directors. Must be able to convey complicated topics and issues in a straight forward and concise manner, and be able to tailor communication style to the audience.
- A team player who is cooperative, encourages collaboration and builds understanding; one who easily gains trust and support of superiors and peers and who can find common ground and solve problems. A history of building and maintaining a solid network and excellent working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- A strong understanding of Internal Audit methodologies and techniques; extensive experience with risk-based internal auditing and annual planning; demonstrated knowledge of SOX 404 regulations and compliance; and knowledge of spreadsheet, accounting, word processing, presentation, email and internet software applications.
- Stamina and self-assurance to maintain effective working relationships in a demanding and diverse environment.
- Demonstrated integrity and commitment to the highest ethical standards and personal values.
- Self-motivation and initiative to prioritize work and otherwise perform the job with minimal supervision.
- Outstanding leadership skills. Leadership behaviors that are recognized at Halyard as important include: Building Trust; Building Talent; Making Decisions; Thinking Customer; Striving to Win Consistently; and Seeking to Continuously Improve.
- CPA, CIA, or CISA certification preferred
- 25-50% Travel Required
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. Statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for this position.
Kimberly-Clark is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.