Title: Assistant General Counsel – IP Center of Excellence
Company: Kimberly-Clark Corporation, job #150001EV
Location: Neenah WI
Reports to: VP Deputy GC
We seek an Assistant General Counsel to join our Legal Department in our Neenah, Wisconsin offices to support our global innovation teams, part of our Global Brands and Innovation organization.
Position Purpose: The Assistant General Counsel position will provide strategic direction on our innovation patent portfolio and help develop, maintain and enforce intellectual property rights globally as well as provide general legal support on related matters arising in daily operations. The Assistant General Counsel will work with the global marketing and innovation teams in the development of appropriate patent protection for all innovation projects to accomplish business and strategic initiatives, and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Lead and personally handle all aspects of innovation management for K-C’s global innovation initiatives, including crafting and implementing strategies reflecting business objectives, patent and other business development opportunities, critical risk analysis and recommended solutions.
- Provide general business, patent and other legal support to the innovation teams as they work with third parties, and seek to develop and launch new or improved materials and products.
- Prepare and negotiate agreements and other documents to support business transactions and the development and/or utilization of intellectual assets.
- Manage the applicable patent portfolio, prepare and file patent applications and conduct patent prosecution to protect K-C’s investments in innovation.
- Provide freedom to operate, ownership, infringement and validity opinions as necessary in support of commercialization efforts as well as for patent litigation and licensing opportunities.
- Provide training and processes designed to enhance the management of K-C’s innovation initiatives as well as drive and promote a comprehensive and effective compliance and ethics culture.
- Partner with the innovation teams by inspiring confidence and trust, making practical recommendations to business partners that strike the appropriate risk/reward balance, and being accountable for delivering business results.
- Communicate fully in an open and candid manner with superiors, peers, subordinates and others who have a need to know.
- Assist in setting the Legal Department’s strategy, identifying breakthrough initiatives and driving change to improve the way we work and the value we add to the business.
- Contribute to an environment in which all team members are respected regardless of their individual differences and are motivated to improve both their individual and team contributions to achieve business results.
Business Partners and Expectations: Business partners are located both in and outside of the U.S. and will include a highly diverse group of individuals such as corporate officers and other top ranking business officers, research & engineering personnel, marketing teams as well as other personnel in business or staff groups and in the Legal Department. Expectations include consistently providing balanced, reasonable advice and recommendations on achieving short and long term objectives in conformity with applicable laws and regulations, including an assessment of the critical legal risks involved, and accountability for delivering business results.
Expectations also include representing the Corporation’s interests to outside parties and governmental agencies in an effective, articulate and influential manner.
Scope: The position reports to the Vice President & Deputy General Counsel, Intellectual Property Global Brands and Innovation and requires an in-depth knowledge of the law and relevant legal concepts and the ability to analyze legal issues and develop practical solutions to problems. The position requires the ability to gain the trust and confidence of business partners and other legal team members such that the advice and recommendations are readily accepted and effectively implemented. The position typically functions with little or no work direction and requires independent judgment concerning when and to what extent to secure guidance or assistance from others with the Legal Department or within the Corporation.
The position may provide supervision and work direction to administrative staff or paralegals.
Interested? Sending your resume can jump-start our process to – Dorothy.Beach@KCC.com.
Qualifications/Education/Experience Required: The position requires:
- A Juris Doctor degree or its non-U.S. equivalent, and a license to practice in at least one state plus USPTO Registration
- Demonstrated experience and ability to independently advise entrepreneurial business teams through a variety of matters while managing a robust patent portfolio in either a law firm or corporate department
- The ability to deal with complex legal and business issues on all subjects impacting the operation of the business.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. Statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for this position.
Kimberly-Clark and its well-known global brands are an indispensable part of life for people in more than 150 countries. Every day, 1.3 billion people – nearly a quarter of the world’s population – trust K-C brands and the solutions they provide to enhance their health, hygiene, and well-being. With brands such as Kleenex, Scott, Huggies, Pull-Ups, Kotex, and Depend, Kimberly-Clark holds No.1 or No. 2 share positions in more than 80 countries. With a 135-year history of innovation, we believe in recruiting the best people and putting them in the right jobs so that they can do their best work. If fresh thinking and a passion to win inspire you, come Unleash Your Power at Kimberly-Clark.
Kimberly-Clark is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.