Title: Director – Advanced Research & Technology Development
Company: Halyard Health
Location: Alpharetta GA just north of Atlanta
Function: Research and Engineering
Reports to: VP Global R&D
Position Purpose & Scope of Responsibilities:
The Director of Advanced Research & Technology Development, reporting to the Vice President of Global R&D, will lead two functions that are critical to accelerating growth for the $1.7 Billion Dollar Halyard Health organization. The first function is a newly organized pain management technology center of excellence. This center of excellence is chartered to identify, develop and license new and innovative technology in the areas of acute and chronic pain that can be applied to future product development projects. The second function is to drive an organization focused on technology scouting, idea management and special projects that will support all of the business units at Halyard as well as focus on new adjacent business opportunities.
Primary scope of duties and responsibilities includes the following:
• Lead the establishment of a Pain Management focused Technology Development center of excellence for Halyard. Drive the implementation of new technology to solve clinical needs. Research and evaluate emerging technologies and execute strategic technology planning centered on pain management.
• Drive the development and establishment of advanced research & technology development processes, practices and SOP’s.
• Plan, coordinate and track advanced research projects performed using both internal and external R&D resources. Manage lead researchers that are driving these projects. Manage the scoping, assessment and investigation of technologies and their transition into Product Development projects
• Stay abreast of up-and-coming technology by building key relationships with industry thought leaders, universities and inventors to deliver technology and clinical solutions that will feed new product development and shape Halyard’s future.
• Assemble and manage a Scientific Advisory Board, specific to pain management, made up of physicians and researchers that help direct research and technology development
• Ensure proprietary technology and intellectual property protection for developed technology.
• Develop & maintain technology development roadmaps and strategic plans. Working collaboratively with business and R&D partners, link those plans to overall product development roadmaps. Stay informed on and monitor technology trends.
• Identify and assess early stage technologies that may be available for licensing or further development especially in the field of pain management.
• Lead an organization focused on providing technology scouting capabilities to the Halyard organization that can be leveraged to support inorganic activity in adjacent business areas as well as support the needs of the existing business units.
• Drive the idea management process here at Halyard. Work in concert with Intellectual Property counsel to help manage the intellectual asset review process.
• Management of departmental budget and oversight of capital expenditures.
• Provide routine project status communications to management.
• Attracts develop and retain top talent. Conducts performance reviews with input from project leaders, core team members, project managers and key stakeholders.
• Ensures that high potential candidates are matched appropriately with stretch assignments/projects in an effort to retain top talent within Halyard Health.
• Business Unit Research and Development, New Ventures, Sales, Marketing, Business Strategy, Legal, Quality, Regulatory, Medical Sciences/Clinical, External Development Vendors, Finance, Product Supply, Clinicians and Key Opinion Leaders.
Interested? Please send your resume to D.Beach@Accenture.com to start our process. We can then have a chat in the next few business days to discuss your fit versus your career plans.
• Education: Master’s degree in Engineering or Scientific discipline. Ph.D. degree in a scientific or engineering discipline strongly preferred
• Skills / Qualifications:
o 10+ years of successful demonstrated experience in research and development and at least 7 years of management experience leading scientific or engineering professionals.
o Medical device industry experience
o Excellent written and oral communication skills
o Demonstrated ability to develop opportunity assessments
o Strong people and process management skills
o Strong strategic thinking skills
o Experience working with academic institutions
• Preference will be given to:
o Candidates with an advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or Neuroscience.
o Candidates with previous experience working in the fields of neuromodulation, neurostimulation or other pain management related fields.
Halyard Health [NYSE: HYH] is a medical technology company focused on preventing infection, eliminating pain and speeding recovery for healthcare providers and their patients. Headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, Halyard is committed to addressing some of today’s most important healthcare needs, such as preventing healthcare-associated infections and reducing the use of narcotics while helping patients move from surgery to recovery. Halyard’s business segments — Surgical and Infection Prevention and Medical Devices — develop, manufacture and market clinically superior solutions that improve medical outcomes and business performance in more than 100 countries. For more information, visit http://www.halyardhealth.com.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. Statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for this position.
Halyard Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.