Title: Emerging Technology Senior Lead
Job # 150002IO, Kimberly-Clark Corp.
Location: San Francisco CA area
Function: IT Services
Reports to: Director IT Innovation
Direct reports: none
Product Line: emerging technology for new products and services
The Emerging Technology Senior Leadwill provide emerging technology expertise, depth, mentoring, and leadership within the ITS innovation program. He/she will demonstrate information technology leadership by influencing and driving the investment of new technology innovation, developing new, emerging technology use cases applicable to Kimberly-Clark businesses, and leading proofs-of-concept to test hypotheses aligned to a business strategy. A Senior Technology Research Specialist is able to effectively combine emerging technologies with business needs, and clearly articulate and measure the results while applying business acumen.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter expert with the ability to work at the front end of information technology development, but just as importantly will have a demonstrated ability to drive and implement projects towards commercial realization through strong collaborative interaction with diverse teams. He/she will proactively grow and manage an internal and external network of technology partners enabling early access and visibility to new capabilities, potential partnerships, and the opportunity to influence vendor capability roadmaps.
A significant skill for the Senior Lead is mentoring and teaching other IT professionals to build talent and a pipeline of skilled and knowledgeable personnel within key roles empowered and expected to drive and influence business strategy with technology. Influencing management at all levels to drive alignment and impact are also key skills for this role. The incumbent provides project work direction to senior technical professionals, internally and externally, to deliver new innovation proofs-of-concept and consults to solve difficult business and technology challenges.
This role requires significant collaboration with ITS leaders and strategic business partners needing technology insights, business unit / innovation leaders, as well as internal and external technology experts. It includes gaining senior leader sponsorship for emerging technology proofs-of-concept. A Senior Technology Research specialist must provide thought leadership and effectively communicate and influence senior management / stakeholders on new business opportunities enabled by technology to stay competitive in a digital world.
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge of emerging technology trends and developments over a broad range of information and communications technologies. Monitors outcomes of research work, seeking to identify where technology might be deployed in order to deliver business improvements and competitive advantage. Track a broad range of emerging technologies to determine their maturity and applicability to the K-C business needs and technology strategy.
• Leverages technical depth in emerging information technology to create and communicate research artifacts designed to educate and/or influence the target audience at varying levels of the organization. Proactively mentors and coaches junior technology resources bringing new opportunities to the table that provide growth and new exposure across the organization.
• Develops emerging technology use cases aligned to business problems, opportunities, and strategy. Delivers compelling communication to clearly articulate the business opportunity enabled through technology to educate and gain stakeholder buy-in for emerging technology exploration or proofs-of-concept.
• Drives the growth of the innovation network and ecosystem through vendor, academic institution, peer company, etc. engagement to quickly advance learning and understanding of emerging technologies as well as identify partnerships for exploratory work. Must be comfortable with autonomy to pursue and explore technologies and vendors aligned to a strategy.
• Establish, build, and maintain relationships with new and existing technology partners to gain knowledge and insight into their product / service offerings now and in the future. Must establish a strong rapport with vendors, and display the confidence and ability to influence vendor product / service roadmaps and go-to-market strategies leveraging Kimberly-Clark business agendas, use cases, and ideas that potentially deliver benefit to both parties.
• Determines the appropriate partners(s) to participate in new technology innovation proofs-of-concept to deliver assessing various factors such a readiness, speed, cost, etc.
• Leads the investigation and delivery of technology innovation proofs-of-concept. Selects or heavily influences partner selection for delivery and manages the partner relationship(s) throughout. Defines the initial approach and scope and is a key contributor and/or provides work direction to other technical resources. Guidance may span from a new concept through several innovation stages gates. Strives to deliver results that identify breakthrough technologies that advance business capabilities to win in the market.
• Provides protection to technologies, processes, and products through appropriate use of patents and trade secrets.
• Drives and executes team / department strategy working in partnership with various teams and organizations including ITS, Corporate Research & Engineering leadership, and business unit stakeholders.
• Comfortable in a thought leadership position to introduce new concepts that challenge traditional views in order to drive new value.
• Drives collaboration and innovation across teams and departments in order to deliver breakthrough technologies for K-C’s businesses.
• Keeps senior management up-to-date on technology trends and developments, and advises them on commercial implications and associated business opportunities. This includes the CIO and other ITS senior leaders (VPs, Senior Directors), Business Innovation VPs, and Business Unit senior leaders. Advises and briefs other staff as appropriate. Ensures communication of project plans and results to partners, customers, and other team members.
• Participates in various innovation workshops either as a participant contributing new ideas and thought leadership or as an expert and educator in emerging technologies. Stimulates the creation of ideas among colleagues and staff. Works with business strategists and innovators to help them understand the opportunities that technology can provide.
• Has confidence in working in a matrix organization, influencing without having direct decision-making power and drive success by uniting diverse IT teams.
• Comfortable in having autonomy in technology research and partner engagements, demonstrating results through partnerships or successful influence of vendor capabilities.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of catering a message appropriately for a given audience as well as applying business acumen to technology opportunities.
Ever wonder what it is like to belong to this global company? Here are some reasons to join us: http://bit.ly/WorkingatKC !
Interested in this job? You can contact Dorothy.Beach@KCC.com to receive more information on this job. Sending your resume would jump-start our process and could lead to a screen call.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Research with equivalent experience
• 10+ years of progressive work experience in IT related fields, research and/or consulting experience.
• A history of demonstrated business success; leading the integration and use of technology and/or strategy throughout a company, analyzing technology trends, and implementing innovative, technology-based solutions, designing and executing strategic sessions, scoping, planning, and leading the execution of innovation projects.
• Strong skills and experience with:
o Effectively communicating emerging technologies into innovative business scenarios
o Leveraging innovation delivery frameworks designed to rapidly test and assess value / results
o Building, managing, influencing, and leveraging external networks and vendor relationships
• Proven business acumen; researching trends, consumer insights, technology integration
• A demonstrated ability to identify and solve complex problems which require significant personal technical expertise, team leadership, collaboration with other disciplines and business units, as well as identification and management of external partnerships.
• Proven ability to lead small, agile teams to rapidly test and assess learnings for decision making in innovation
• Proven ability to collaborate
- Proven ability to collaborate and influence successfully across a large, global company across multiple groups and functions, as well as with external parties by: building trust, making decisions, winning consistently, thinking customer, continuously improvement, and building talent
• Ability to work in a virtual team which may work across distance (remote), cultures and time zones, in a matrix with multiple reporting lines, and may extend outside the K-C organization including suppliers, partners and customers.
• Excellent ability to function as a mentor, acting as a role model in new technology identification, research, and leadership. Proactively teaches how to solve technical problems using technology, industry, consumer, and business knowledge. Leads by example by making use of sound technical skills visible to others.
- An extensive demonstrated track record of documenting research in internal publications with proven ability or knowledge of protecting inventions through patent filings and other forms of intellectual property.
• International experience with working knowledge of languages where K-C has large operations will be considered a plus.
Kimberly-Clark and its well-known global brands are an indispensable part of life for people in more than 175 countries. Every day, 1.3 billion people – nearly a quarter of the world’s population – trust K-C brands and the solutions they provide to enhance their health, hygiene, and well-being. With brands such as Kleenex, Scott, Huggies, Pull-Ups, Kotex, and Depend, Kimberly-Clark holds No.1 or No. 2 share positions in more than 80 countries. With more than 140 years of history of innovation, we believe in recruiting the best people and empowering them do their best work. If fresh thinking and a passion to win inspire you, come Unleash Your Power at Kimberly-Clark.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. Statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for this position.
Kimberly-Clark is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.