Title: Research and Engineering Technical Director, Global Nonwovens
Job #160000ZH, Kimberly-Clark Corp.
Location: Roswell GA just north of Atlanta
Reports to: VP of Global Nonwovens (GNW)
Global Nonwovens (GNW) has an opening for an R&E Technical Director to provide technical leadership, strategic direction, and program execution in wide ranging nonwoven technologies to support K-C’s business strategies, innovation & growth plans, and cost transformation. This R&E Technical Director role within Global Nonwovens will have a breadth of technical leadership responsibilities including the guidance of technical programs in support of materials science, process development of new and existing nonwoven technologies, and intellectual asset management for technology adoption across all K-C’s businesses, brands and regions. This position will interface with colleagues across GNW as well as global partners in KCNA, KCI, KCP, CR&E and external partners in academia, government, industry, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Provide technical leadership, expertise, and strategic vision by influencing the application of nonwovens technology within the corporation, encouraging the acquisition or development of new technologies, and by identifying/conceiving and driving development of innovative and novel nonwovens substrates and/or technologies that have the potential to add substantial competitive advantage for current product forms.
- Drive and execute overall technology strategy working in partnership with GNW leadership and BU stakeholders to enable:
- Material and process migration plans aligned with BU product migration plans
- Inform sustainable GNW asset strategy
- Seek and establish connections between various internal and external technical developments to create and drive new and more disruptive innovation opportunities
- Set the standard for protection of technologies, processes, materials, and products through appropriate use of patents and trade secrets. Engage with legal and licensing teams to establish technology partnerships, JDAs, and licensing opportunities that can drive innovation and/or generate revenue
- Bring an innovation mindset to research & development in GNW
- Understand high priority/high opportunity business needs across the sectors and translate into high impact nonwoven related technology programs to drive top line and margin growth
- Build connections between GNW technology projects and business opportunities to drive greater alignment and accelerated execution & learning.
- Uncover/anticipate unmet business needs that may drive new GNW technology development programs
- Lead complex science and technology development projects which may span the range from conception through initial stages of commercialization with Business Unit (BU) partners.
- Build strong relationships with other KC Technical Directors and influence/partner on overall KC technical strategy
- Partner with GNW (Product Supply, Capital Engineering, Strategy) and BU’s to ensure the GNW global asset base delivers sustainable competitive advantage
- Drive collaboration and innovation across GNW in order to deliver breakthrough technologies for K-C’s businesses.
- Work in concert with GPO to vet out technical and innovation capabilities of strategic suppliers.
- Provide technical and strategic guidance to Nonwoven Technology Platform Teams and ensures yearly updates of technology platform strategies
- Proactively identifies and grows the next generation of Technical Leaders by identifying career development opportunities that provide exposure across the organization and growth of skills.
- Provide technical and strategic input/influence to project gate and portfolio decisions and advise project/program leaders to be more effective in execution and delivery of results, seeking out “red’ projects and leaning in to understand and advise corrective actions
- Set high standards for self and entire R&E organization for scientific excellence in the pursuit of project objectives for business success.
- Foster an environment in which all team members are respected regardless of their individual differences and are motivated to improve both their contributions to achieve business results. Consistent role modeling, growth and coaching of One K-C Behaviors.
- Lead by example in Safety and LEAN/Continuous Improvement
Candidates should have extensive scientific/engineering experiences and notable accomplishments across technologies important to GNW with the ability to help set strategic direction for the department as well as create and drive major, complex science and technology initiatives. The successful candidate will be an accomplished leader with the ability to work at the front end of science and technology development, but just as importantly will have a demonstrated ability to drive and implement technical projects towards commercial realization through strong collaborative interaction with diverse business functions.
A strong track record in creating technology programs while working with external technology partners is crucial including universities, suppliers, government laboratories, and industry consortiums. Mentoring and coaching junior scientists and influencing management are also key skills for this R&E Technical Director role. Candidate needs to be a “leader of leaders” with the ability to provide project work direction to senior technical employees.
Ever wonder what it is like to belong to this global company? Here are some reasons to join us: http://bit.ly/WorkingatKC ! Interested in this job? You can contact Dorothy.Beach@KCC.com to receive more information on this job. Sending your resume would jump-start our process and could lead to a screen call.
- Candidates must possess an advanced degree in a major scientific or engineering discipline from an accredited college or university.
- Broad and deep knowledge of nonwoven technologies and minimum of 15 years of experience in application of nonwoven materials, processes, raw materials and BU product applications
- Knowledge of BU converting processes and practices
- A demonstrated ability to identify and solve complex problems which require significant personal technical expertise, team leadership, collaboration with other scientific disciplines and BU’s, as well as identification and management of external partnerships.
- A demonstrated ability to collaborate and influence in a global setting across multiple technical groups and BU functions such as R&E, Marketing, Product Supply and Procurement.
- Strong ability to function as a mentor for junior scientists, acting as a role model in the application of the scientific method to solve problems of importance for KC. Proactively teaches how to solve technical problems using advanced scientific principles, consumer knowledge, and use of standard business processes.
- An extensive demonstrated track record of documenting results in internal publications, using external publications to achieve business objectives, and protecting inventions through patent filings and other forms of intellectual asset management.
- Demonstrated continuous personal improvement in scientific and leadership skills through attending classes, conferences, industry consortiums, university forums, and other forms of scientific growth.
Other Desired Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in materials science, engineering, chemistry, or a closely related field with an emphasis in advanced research or equivalent demonstrated project experiences.
- Company-wide recognition of scientific excellence and broad network influence to attract leading internal & external technology partners to help solve complex problems.
- Significant experience with analysis tools and computer programs for statistical analysis and design of experiments.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. Statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for this position.
Kimberly-Clark and its well-known global brands are an indispensable part of life for people in more than 175 countries. Every day, 1.3 billion people – nearly a quarter of the world’s population – trust K-C brands and the solutions they provide to enhance their health, hygiene, and well-being. With brands such as Kleenex, Scott, Huggies, Pull-Ups, Kotex, and Depend, Kimberly-Clark holds No.1 or No. 2 share positions in more than 80 countries. With more than 140 years of history of innovation, we believe in recruiting the best people and empowering them do their best work. If fresh thinking and a passion to win inspire you, come Unleash Your Power at Kimberly-Clark.
Kimberly-Clark is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, pregnancy, genetic information, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by law.